Grade 12 Planning Guide
For all seniors, we encourage you to keep up the rigor. Your best indicator of post-secondary success is if you finish high school strong. The senior year is your most important year because it tells a college what kind of a student you are going to be.
We encourage all college-bound students to try at least one IB or AP course. Research is clear: Students who take an AP or IB course during high school are more likely to complete their college degree. It's about learning how to manage the demands of a college level course. Senior year has much more flexibility, but use it well to finish strong!
To receive a Minnetonka High School diploma, students must fulfill certain requirements. View the MHS Graduation Requirements here.
English: Students may take a year-long course or two different semester courses.
- IB Language and Literature SL
- IB Literature and Performance SL
- IB Literature HL, Year 2
- AP Research (prerequisite AP Seminar via VANTAGE Global Business)
- VANTAGE: Global Business (AP Seminar)
- VANTAGE: Digital Journalism (Journalism and Investigative Research)
- English 12 (also a Tonka Online option) or 12 Honors and one of the following:
- Global Studies and Economics
- AP U.S. Government and Politics
- AP Comparative Government (Tonka Online option)
- AP Human Geography
- AP Psychology (Tonka Online option)
- AP Macroeconomics (Tonka Online option)
- AP European History (Tonka Online option)
- AP World History (Tonka Online option)
- IB History HL
- IB Psychology
- VANTAGE: Global Business (AP Microeconomics)
- VANTAGE: Global Sustainability (Global Studies and Economics)
- VANTAGE: Health Sciences (AP Psychology)
- Follow your course sequence. Talk to your teacher for recommendations. If you are college-bound, we strongly recommend a fourth year of math. The University of Minnesota requires math in your senior year.
- VANTAGE: Business Analytics (AP Statistics)
- If you are college-bound, we strongly recommend a fourth year of science. Physics is strongly encouraged. If you have aspirations to go to the University of Minnesota and most other schools, they want to see Physics on your transcript (two Tonka Online options).
- Human Anatomy (Tonka Online option, one-semester course)
- Scientific Research I or II (Minnetonka Research)
- VANTAGE: Global Sustainability (AP Environmental Science)
- VANTAGE: Health Sciences (Anatomy)
- User Experience (UX) Design: AP Computer Science Principles (elective credit) and Digital Interface Design (fulfills the Arts credit)
- To fulfill the recommended 5 credits during your senior year, complete you course schedule with a selection of electives. Review the Skipper Log for current course options.
Parent Information Meetings
For parents with students currently in grade 11, entering grade 12 in the fall.
- RESCHEDULED! 11th Grade Registration Overview and College Search Program for Parents: Feb. 12, 2019 at 7 p.m. in the MHS Arts Center
- Curriculum Fair: February 21, 2019 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the MHS Student Union
Do More in Four
By taking advantage of Tonka Online, you can complete required or prep courses during the summer, flex your daytime schedule or pick up an additional class during the school year. With Tonka Online, you can:
- Complete three years of math in two years
- Take two music classes during the year
- Pursue electives that align with your passions
- Ensure time for specialty programs during your junior and senior year.
With more than 300 courses offered at Minnetonka High School—including programs like VANTAGE, International Baccalaureate, Project Lead the Way, and a world-class fine arts program— students occasionally have a hard time making it all fit. Tonka Online can help!