Grade 10 Planning guide
Sophomore year for many of our students may be their first entry into AP classes. As you build your four-year plan, we encourage those who plan to go to college to try at least one AP or IB class before you graduate. The majority of our students will take multiple AP or IB courses.
The research is clear: students who complete AP or IB courses during high school are more likely to complete their college degree. It's about gaining a strong foundation in how to learn and how to manage the demands of a college-level course. Some students will choose to try this sophomore year, others will wait until senior year. Every student is unique!
To receive a Minnetonka High School diploma, students must fulfill certain requirements. View the MHS Graduation Requirements here.
Choose from these year-long courses:
- English 10
- American Studies 10 Honors (Summer Reading)
- This class closely mirrors the learning activities of the IB Programme. If you are thinking ahead to IB, this class is a great way to try the IB-like experience before making the decision to do the programme.
- AP Language and Composition 10
- Contemporary U.S. History
- Combines 10th grade American Literature with 10th grade American history (see English section)
- AP U.S. History
- If you are on the fence about AP US History, consider signing up for the Pre-AP US History Tonka Online course over the summer.
- For math, you should follow the recommendation of your current math teacher. Our math teachers are exceptionally skilled in placing students at the correct level.
- Principles of Chemistry
- Chemistry Honors
- AP Chemistry (Extensive summer work)
- If you are on the fence about AP Chemistry, there is a Pre-AP Chemistry class available through Tonka Online.
- User Experience (UX) Design (open to sophomores), AP Computer Science Principles (elective credit) and Digital Interface Design (fulfills the Arts credit)
- To fulfill the recommended 6 credits during your sophomore year, complete you course schedule with a selection of electives. Review the Skipper Log for current course options.
Do More in Four
By taking advantage of Tonka Online, you can complete required or prep courses during the summer, flex your daytime schedule or pick up an additional class during the school year. With Tonka Online, you can:
- Complete three years of math in two years
- Take two music classes during the year
- Pursue electives that align with your passions
- Ensure time for specialty programs during your junior and senior year.
With more than 300 courses offered at Minnetonka High School—including programs like VANTAGE, International Baccalaureate, Project Lead the Way, and a world-class fine arts program— students occasionally have a hard time making it all fit. Tonka Online can help!