Services Available through Minnetonka Public Schools
The supports available to students and families at Minnetonka High School (MHS) have recently been expanded. High school students can access free, onsite, confidential chemical health counseling through a partnership between MHS and Relate Counseling Center, thanks in part to a grant from the Minnetonka Family Collaborative. Isabella Hopwood, a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor, is available to meet with students at MHS Monday-Thursday during the mornings.
Isabella provides services to students for a variety of reasons. A student may be referred to Isabella as a result of a chemical violation, self-referral, and/or due to concerns from parents, coaches, or other school staff about substance use. She provides chemical health screenings and short-term counseling to students in the school setting. Students can access up to 5 sessions each school year. There is no cost to the student/family to access this service, and insurance is not billed. If the student is in need of more intensive services, Isabella will provide referrals and resources for additional supports.
If you have a non-emergency chemical health concern about a student, you are encouraged to contact the student’s guidance counselor. Requests to meet with Isabella will go through Melissa Feller, a social worker at MHS. Melissa is available to field chemical health questions and provide resources (including a referral to Isabella) for students, parents, staff, and community members. Melissa serves as the chemical health liaison between Minnetonka High School and Tonka CARES and works closely with Isabella. She also serves as the Tonka Leadership Challenge Advisor and helps connect students to clubs and activities that support a chemical-free lifestyle.
Community and Online Resources for Students and Families:
- Partnership for Drug-free Kids Hotline & Resources
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Information for Parents & Educators
Signs and Symptoms of Use
Assessments(Also called Chemical Health Assessments, Chemical Use Evaluations, Chemical Dependency Assessments or Evaluations)
- Relate Counseling Center 952-932-7277
- River Ridge Treatment Center 952-894-7722
- Anthony Louis Center – Burnsville 952-890-8879
- Hazelden Center for Youth and Families 888-257-7800
Connect with us to Participate
Get weekly reminders, fun activity tips, engaging articles and more!
- Tuesday, Sept. 19, 9-10:30 a.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, Nov. 14, 1-2:30 p.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, Jan. 16, 9-10:30 a.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, March 13, 1-2:30 p.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, May 8, 9-10:30 a.m., DSC Community Room