Who we are
Tonka CARES is a prevention-focused coalition made up of 50+ members representing various sectors of the community. We work with local law enforcement, businesses, city government, Minnetonka Public Schools, non-profits supporting youth, faith communities, students and parents to create a healthier community and environment that supports positive decision making among young people.
The coalition was established in 2005 and is one of only twenty-six coalitions across MN awarded a federal Drug-free Communities Grant. Tonka CARES has entered its final year under the Federal Drug Free Communities Grant and will rely on community donations for ongoing sustainability.
According to the Minnesota Student Survey, most young people in our community choose not to use alcohol, marijuana or other drugs. Yet those who do use may compromise their learning, endanger their health and ultimately risk their lives. This a national issue, as well as a local one – but it is local community efforts to reduce substance use that have the most impact.
- Boost the number of active partners and volunteers in the coalition to 75 by 2021. Ensuring a balance of community segments and like-minded organizations represented.
- By 2021, build and strengthen relationships within the Minnetonka Public School and demonstrate measurable impact on substance use prevention and early intervention in those schools served.
- Effect meaningful policy change in two critical areas in the community and/or at the state level by 2021.
Connect with us to Participate
Get weekly reminders, fun activity tips, engaging articles and more!
LOOKING FOR HELP RESOURCES??
- Tuesday, Sept. 19, 9-10:30 a.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, Nov. 14, 1-2:30 p.m., DSC Community Room
- *** CHANGE of DATE*** NOW FRIDAY JAN. 18th 9-10:30am (changed from Tuesday, Jan. 16, 9-10:30 a.m)., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, March 13, 1-2:30 p.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, May 8, 9-10:30 a.m., DSC Community Room