Tonka CARES is a prevention-focused coalition made up of 50+ members representing various sectors of the community. We work with local law enforcement, businesses, city government, Minnetonka Public Schools, non-profits supporting youth, faith communities, students and parents to create a healthier community and environment that supports positive decision making among young people.
Tonka CARES is a diverse community coalition that fosters the healthy development of youth, including substance use prevention and early intervention. With a commitment to stay current and relevant- and leveraging research and data – we:
- Build Relationships: We engage, connect and inform, with and for youth.
- Promote Wellbeing: We focus on essential community needs.
- Make Connections: We serve as the hub for information and partnerships.
- Think Systemically: We improve conditions within the community to effect change.
Tonka CARES Updates
Opioid & Other Substances Community Outreach Event
Thursday February 22, 2018
MHS Large Auditorium
Residents of Minnetonka and neighboring communities are invited to attend a community outreach session to learn more about the opioid epidemic. This session will discuss the disease of addiction, signs and symptoms of opiate use & overdose, opioid reversal medication, prevention & early intervention strategies, as well as help & recovery resources. Attendees will hear from local families who have lost their children to addiction and the drug epidemic, as well as from Minnetonka youth living in recovery. Additionally, we are honored to present to you representatives from the FBI as well as from Minnetonka & Eden Prairie Police Departments.
Eat. Talk. Connect
A program that encourages families to connect and build strong relationships by sharing at least three meals every week.
Coming to you March 2018
Rx Drop Off Locator: https://www.hennepin.us/medicine
We rely fully on grants and community support. Donate and become a sponsor of Tonka CARES! All contributions are tax deductible.
We welcome your participation.
- Tuesday, Sept. 19, 9-10:30 a.m., DSC Community Room (View Meeting Minutes)
- Tuesday, Nov. 14, 1-2:30 p.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, Jan. 16, 9-10:30 a.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, March 13, 1-2:30 p.m., DSC Community Room
- Tuesday, May 8, 9-10:30 a.m., DSC Community Room