Minnetonka Public Schools and the Minnetonka Alumni Association celebrate the accomplishments of outstanding alumni at our annual awards event during homecoming each year.
14th Annual Alumni Awards
Minnetonka Public Schools and the Minnetonka Alumni Association will celebrate the accomplishments of our outstanding alumni and former faculty members on Saturday, September 23, 2023. The event will be held from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Minnetonka High School. A light brunch will be provided. The event is free and open to the public, but an RSVP for each guest is required.
The following alumni will be honored at this event:
Distinguished Alumni Award
- Molly Beth (Obsatz) Griffin ‘01 - Molly is a celebrated author of Children’s and Young Adult literature. Her extensive library of work features strong female protagonists, non-traditional families and LGBTQIA+ storylines.
- Dr. Allan Sonsteby ‘83 - Allan is the executive director of Penn State’s Applied Research Laboratory. Throughout his career, he has sought opportunities to increase the security of our nation through science, technology, mentorship and education.
Distinguished Service Award
- Rogene (Hanson) Meriwether ‘76 - Rogene joined Minnetonka High School in 2001. As the school’s nurse, she navigated everything from the sprained ankles and the common cold to the SARS outbreak and the COVID-19 pandemic during her 20 years of service.
Young Alumni Achievement Award
- Alana Aamodt ‘14 - Alana founded Momentix Toys to provide children with diverse learning experiences through hands-on play. Her unique toys allow them to practice STEM skills by creating chain reaction (aka Rube Goldberg) machines.
- Timothy Dawson ‘08 - Tim has helped foster one of the most impactful partnerships for the VANTAGE program through his work at The Bluebird Group. He has recruited guest instructors and mentors, sponsored a project and created internship and scholarship opportunities students.
Skippers Hall of Fame
- Leslie (Wilcox) Johnson ‘92 - A multi-sport athlete her freshman year, Leslie quickly discovered her passion for Girls Swimming. By her senior year she had become team captain, was voted Most Improved, came in first at state in multiple categories and broke two school records.
Faculty Hall of Fame
- Earl Christ - Earl taught physical education for more than 30 years at Deephaven High School (before the District was formed) and at Minnetonka High School. He was also an outstanding basketball coach, winning the District’s first state championship in 1965.
- David Gartner - Dave began coaching the Alpine Ski Team in 2017 when his youngest daughter, Piper, was a senior. He planned to resign after his daughter graduated, but his love of the sport and the energy of the nearly 60 skiers convinced him to stay.
Submit a Nomination
Up to ten awards may be presented each year. Awards are selected by the Minnetonka Alumni Association Board, with input from District leaders.
Deadline: Nominations are accepted throughout the year. Decisions for the annual awards are made in February each year. Nominations submitted after January 31 will be considered for the following year.
Awards may be presented in the following categories:
President: Marietta Jacobsen '70
Secretary: Laura Forslev '85
Treasurer: Scott Meriwether '68
Minnetonka Alumni Association
P.O. Box 103
Excelsior, MN 55331
Make a Gift
Order transcripts online. There is a $5 fee, payable online.