Explorers - Grades K-5
During the Governor’s mandated school closure time period, Explorers is only open to families working in Critical Sectors.
- Qualifying Critical Sector employees with children ages three through twelve can register for childcare here.
- Requests must be received by 5:00 p.m. the night before childcare is required
- Explorers is open from 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Elementary students will be supported in their e-learning while at Explorers. There is no cost associated with the E-learning day.
- Fee based childcare is available before E-learning and after E-learning for elementary age students. See our registration page for fees.
- Fee based preschool aged childcare is available. See our registration page for fees.
For more information, please visit the Districts Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Plan webpage
Explorers is a high quality, before-and-after-school childcare program for children, kindergarten to 5th grade. At Explorers, we provide children opportunities to learn through a wide variety of activities such as art, music, science projects, cooking, games, writing, reading, crafts, outdoor play, computers, practicing social skills, gym time, dramatic play and much more! There is a balance of activity options that includes large group, small group and individual choices.
$45 per child registration fee – non-refundable
Benefits of Explorers
- Flexible enrollment options including before and/or after school two to five days per week.
- Extended hours (6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.) to accommodate the schedule of working parents.
- Full-day programming on non-school days and during the summer.
- Conveniently located in all our elementary schools.
- Low student-to-staff ratios allow staff to give individualized attention to each child.
Types of care available
- Before and after school: For families who are seeking care beyond school hours. Register for care before school, after school, or both. Both school day options include a nutritious snack.
- Non-school days: For families who are currently enrolled in the program when school is in session, but also need care on non-school days.
- Summer: For families seeking care over the summer, when school is not in session.
Parents are asked to enroll their children in Explorers on a consistent schedule, two to five days, at the same time increments each week for a minimum of four weeks. Changes to a family's schedule must be made in writing at least one week before modifications are set to take effect. Requests will be approved on a space-available basis and there will be a $10 fee per child for each change.
Add-a-Day requests require a 24-hour notice and must be made directly to your Site Supervisor. Add-a-day rates apply.
- How much does Explorers cost?
- Is tuition assistance available for Explorers?
- How does billing work for Explorers?
- How do I make a payment for Explorers?
- How do I update my Explorers auto pay?
- Is there credit for illness or absence?
- How do I get copies of my invoices?
- Can I get year-end summaries of Explorers payments?
- Where is Explorers located?
- Is Explorers in session on non-school days?
- What is the security system for child pick-up?
- Do I need to notify Explorers if my child will miss a regularly scheduled Explorers day?
- Will my child have a snack at Explorers?
- How does Explorers handle children with food allergies?
- Does my child need an Explorers t-shirt?
- What if I am unable to pick up my child by 6 p.m.?
- How do I authorize new people to pick my child up from Explorers?
K-5 Explorers: Please note that there is a $45 registration fee per child, which is non-refundable.
Summer Explorers: Please note that there is a $45 registration fee per child, which is non-refundable.
Junior Explorers: Please note there is a $200 fee due at the time of registration approval. $75 of this fee is a non-refundable registration fee. The remaining $125 is a deposit for care that will be applied to your first months invoice as a credit.
- Families can remove their contract and receive their $125 deposit for care in return if they cancel their approved contract by Tuesday, April 7 by 11:59 p.m.
- Families can remove their contract and receive a partial refund for the deposit for care of $75 if they cancel their approved contract by Tuesday, June 16 by 11:59 p.m.
- Families removing their contract after Tuesday, June 16 will forfeit the entire $125 deposit for care.
Minnetonka Community Education Center
4584 Vine Hill Road
Deephaven, MN 55331
Hours: 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. weekdays