Early Childhood Screening is a FREE and simple check of how children are developing and growing and is best completed at the age of three. Screening assists children by identifying any problems or concerns to ensure they are ready for Kindergarten. It is required by the State of Minnesota for all preschool-aged children (ages three to five) before entering public school.
Early Childhood Screening will not schedule screening appointments over the summer months. Online registration for 2018-2019 screening appointments will begin in early August with the first appointments scheduled for late August. Please see the 2018-2019 Screening Calendar for full dates and times.
HOW TO SCHEDULE A SCREENING APPOINTMENT:
To schedule a screening appointment, please register here.
After you submit your registration, you will receive an immediate email confirmation that includes your screening date and time. If you are a new user to Eleyo, you will receive two emails. You will receive a phone call the week of your appointment to confirm registration and answer any questions you may have before the screening.
Important: Prior to your child’s appointment, please gather the following two documents and provide this information to us in one of the following ways:
- A copy of your child's birth certificate. Your screening cannot be completed without it. If your child was born in Minnesota, obtain an official birth certificate by visiting the Ridgedale Service Center at 12601 Ridgedale Drive. You can also go online to www.hennepin.us or call 612-348-8240 for more information. If your child was not born in Minnesota, visit www.vitalchek.com to obtain a birth certificate.
- Your child’s updated immunization record. If you do not have your child’s immunization record, please contact your clinic and ask them to send us a copy before the appointment. Your screening cannot be completed without this record.
- Bring birth certificate and immunization records to your child’s Screening appointment
- Email photo or scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or drop off a copy at:
Minnetonka Community Education Center
ATTN: Sue Ryan
4584 Vine Hill Road
Excelsior, MN 55331
- Fax a copy; ATTN: Sue Ryan 952-401-6805
- Last approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Are best completed at the age of three.
- Check a child’s speech, motor, cognitive, social and emotional skills, along with height, weight, hearing, vision and immunization history.
- Involve playful activities that make it an enjoyable experience for children, while providing valuable information for the screener.
- Parents will participate in a summary interview to review the screening process, discuss social and emotional skills, and share any concerns they may have. Referrals may be made for additional educational or community services.
- Parents are allowed to be in the screening rooms. Screeners will provide guidelines to parents in the screening rooms.
- To keep distractions to a minimum, siblings cannot be in the screening rooms. Please find alternative care for siblings.