As part of Minnetonka’s Homecoming Weekend, Minnetonka Public Schools and the Minnetonka Alumni Association will host their fourteenth annual Alumni Awards event at Minnetonka High School on Saturday, September 23, 2023. The event will be emceed by Minnetonka High School Principal Jeff Erickson and includes a complimentary brunch. There is no cost to attend, but an RSVP is required.
The following alumni will be honored this year:
Distinguished Alumni Award
- Molly Beth (Obsatz) Griffin ‘01 - Molly is a celebrated author of Children’s and Young Adult literature. Her extensive library of work features strong female protagonists, non-traditional families and LGBTQIA+ storylines.
- Dr. Allan Sonsteby ‘83 - Allan is the executive director of Penn State’s Applied Research Laboratory. Throughout his career, he has sought opportunities to increase the security of our nation through science, technology, mentorship and education.
Distinguished Service Award
- Rogene (Hanson) Meriwether ‘76 - Rogene joined Minnetonka High School in 2001. As the school’s nurse, she navigated everything from the sprained ankles and the common cold to the SARS outbreak and the COVID-19 pandemic during her 20 years of service.
Young Alumni Achievement Award
- Alana Aamodt ‘14 - Alana founded Momentix Toys to provide children with diverse learning experiences through hands-on play. Her unique toys allow them to practice STEM skills by creating chain reaction (i.e. Rube Goldberg) machines.
- Timothy Dawson ‘08 - Tim has helped foster one of the most impactful partnerships for the VANTAGE program through his work at The Bluebird Group. He has recruited guest instructors and mentors, sponsored a project and created internship and scholarship opportunities for students.
Skippers Hall of Fame
- Leslie (Wilcox) Johnson ‘92 - A multi-sport athlete her freshman year, Leslie quickly discovered her passion for swimming. By her senior year she had become captain of the Girls Swimming and Diving Team, came in first at State in multiple categories and broke two school records.
Faculty Hall of Fame
- Earl Christ - Earl taught physical education for more than 30 years at Deephaven High School (before the Minnetonka School District was formed) and at Minnetonka High School. He was also an outstanding basketball coach, winning the District’s first state championship in 1965.
- David Gartner - Dave began coaching the Alpine Ski Team in 2017 when his youngest daughter, Piper, was a senior. He planned to resign after his daughter graduated, but his love of the sport and the energy of the nearly 60 ski racers convinced him to stay.
Congratulations to all of this year’s award winners.
Know a Minnetonka Alumni or teacher who deserves recognition?
Visit www.minnetonkaschools.org/alumniawards to learn more and submit a nomination.