Volunteer Background Checks
Thank you for your interest in volunteering in our schools. We value your time and talent.
To ensure the safety of our students, we require criminal background checks on the following:
- Any volunteer who accompanies students off campus (i.e., chaperones for field trips).
- Any volunteer who is responsible for working with students on campus, but not under the supervision of a licensed teacher.
If in doubt, complete a background check (except current employees)
Volunteers only need to do the background check once and the results will follow all of your children through their Minnetonka Schools educational career. So, once you have been approved through our volunteer background check process, you will be cleared to volunteer into the future without going through the process again. To inquire whether you already have a cleared volunteer background check on file, please contact either the main office assistant at your child's school or Human Resources at 952-401-5014.
The online criminal background check form requires you to provide authorization for a variety of criminal background checks:
- National Sex Offense History: Provides a sexual offender registry check of all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.
- Criminal SuperSearch: A criminal search for 47 states plus the District of Columbia.
- Social Security Number Trace: Provides the name, aliases, 10 year address history, and all social security numbers associated with the individual. Verifies that the social security number is valid, gives year of issuance and state issued.
There is no fee for you for the background check; it is done at the District’s expense and information will be kept confidential. Human Resources staff members will review the results of each background check. If there are any concerns regarding the results of a background check, Human Resources will contact you directly within 24-48 hours after receiving the results. If you are not contacted within 48 hours after filling out the background check form, you are clear to volunteer. The online form includes an option for volunteers to request a copy of their own report.
Thank you for your cooperation as we continue to maintain a safe and secure educational environment for our students.
Note: Current employees of Minnetonka Schools, you are already cleared to work in the District, so do not need to complete the volunteer background check.