The beautiful Lake Minnetonka region, about 15 miles west of Minneapolis, was first settled by the Dakota and Ojibwe Indians. The area opened for settlement in 1851 and by 1854 nearly all of the lakeshore was claimed. That year, a 20ˈ x 24ˈ log schoolhouse welcomed its first 10 students, an early sign of community stability in the “Big Woods.” Minnetonka’s Groveland Elementary is now the oldest active elementary school in Minnesota. The Minnetonka Public School District was organized in 1949, merging six smaller districts, and opened Minnetonka High School in 1952.
The district now serves more than 10,000 students and 10 communities—Minnetonka, Chanhassen, Deephaven, Eden Prairie, Excelsior, Greenwood, Shorewood, Tonka Bay, Victoria and Woodland—with a preschool, six elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. Minnetonka is the state’s most sought-after school district for open enrollment, with more than 3,400 nonresident students.
Our communities have a relaxed and personalized atmosphere. Families who chose to live in our community place a high value on family, education, faith and community. Parents are very involved in their children's lives, making getting to know other families easy.
Quality of life and commitment to families and youth
- High-quality schools attract families to the area
- Small, definable neighborhoods, public celebrations, shared activities, the arts and community involvement increase residents’ sense of belonging
- People stay in the area, providing consistency and familiarity that help children thrive
- Recreation abounds with boating, fishing, swimming, cross-country skiing and more. Families make the most of neighborhood parks, swimming beaches and regional trails that stretch for miles.
- Convenient shopping areas, major league sporting events and cultural opportunities in the Twin Cities metro area are a short drive away.
Student last names A-L:
Student last names M-Z:
Minnetonka Schools Student Registration
5621 County Rd 101
Minnetonka, MN 55345
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays
Is the home you're considering within the Minnetonka School District boundaries?
Enter the address in the District Map to confirm the district and assigned elementary, middle and high schools.