President's Volunteer Service Award
The mission of the Minnetonka Public Schools is, in part, to ensure all students envision and pursue their highest aspirations while serving the greater good. In recognition of this service, Minnetonka Public Schools is a certifying agent for the United States President's Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) program, designed to thank and honor Americans who, by their demonstrated commitment and example, inspire others to serve.
What doesn’t count?
- Paid, mandatory or court-ordered community service.
- Community service that gives you credit hours.
- Fundraising that benefits you.
- Travel time to and from service activities.
- Hours spent sleeping during overnight service trips or camps. You may count eight hours maximum per day or provide documentation that you served more.
- Unpaid internships with for-profit companies.
- Hours spent in meetings or training unless you were planning or participating in service activities.
- Household chores or service to people living in your home.
- Performance talent (actors, musicians, choirs): Most performances do not count toward award service hours. Where groups are performing a special event for a vulnerable community, students may submit service hours. Performance hours are not to exceed 25% of the minimum hours required for an award level.
Where extenuating circumstances or exceptions to these guidelines may occur, you must present compelling rationale and evidence of the service provided to others.
- Maintain a record of your service hours from Sept. 1 through Aug. 31 of the award year.
- Submit your hours electronically via the PVSA application prior to the deadline in early September. Based on your age and hours, there are four awards offered:
|Kids (ages 5-10)||26-49 hours||50-74 hours||75+ hours|
|Teens (ages 11-15)||50-74 hours||75-99 hours||100+ hours|
|Young Adults (ages 16-25)||100-174 hours||175-249 hours||250+ hours|
President's Lifetime Achievement Award: Individuals who have completed 4,000 or more hours in their lifetime. The Lifetime Achievement Award is not available to be awarded at this time. See https://presidentialserviceawards.gov/ for updates.
How to Track:
Use Google Tracking Sheet - Copy to your drive, or download to Excel, or print.
There are videos and directions within the application. Once you have your hours tracked, start the application process.
Applications are 100% electronic. No paper applications will be accepted.
To learn more about the Presidential Volunteer Service Awards (PVSA), visit:
For questions about Minnetonka's award process contact:
Community Service Specialist