5th Grade Orchestra Class
Orchestra is a curricular class in grade 5 and continues through grade 12. The 5th grade orchestra class utilizes violins, violas, cellos, and upright double basses to continue students’ elementary music education.
Elementary students who enroll in orchestra class will learn:
- The fundamentals of their instrument
- How to perform as an individual and as part of an ensemble
- How to improve their music reading skills
Students will also be challenged to improve their skills and knowledge in:
- Independent Work
The orchestra schedule and expectations include:
- One small group lesson, once a week, during the school day
- Three large group rehearsals every two weeks, during the school day
- Three co-curricular concerts throughout the school year, usually in the evenings
- A solid at-home practice routine, which is essential for student learning
- If my child was not in 4th grade orchestra, can they still join 5th grade orchestra?
- What instruments can join?
- What instrument will be best for my child to learn?
- How do I obtain an instrument for 5th grade Orchestra?
- What if I can't afford an instrument?
- Can we use a family instrument?
- My child might be interested in orchestra later; can they join in middle school instead?
- What materials are needed for 5th grade Orchestra?