Frequently Asked Questions
- When did the School Board adopt Immersion and were other models considered to better enhance the opportunities for all students?
- Why did the District adopt the immersion program when several years ago they removed the Spanish classes due to cost?
- How were the two languages selected for the immersion programs?
- Immersion in the Minnetonka District
General questions about language immersion
- Is language immersion a new concept?
- Is Immersion an option for all children?
- Is a background in the new language needed?
- What percentage of class time would you say is expected to be in the Spanish/Chinese language?
- How do children learn English?
- What role do parents play in the school?
- Are teachers native speakers?
- What level of skill in the second language will students have by the end of fifth grade?
- Would the Kindergarten Immersion be 1/2 day or Extended-Day?
- Will you require elementary language immersion teachers to have a certificate in language immersion education?
- In the elementary language immersion program has thought been given as to how culture will be integrated into language learning?
- Will elementary language immersion classrooms be using the same curricula as English-only classes?
- Is the class taught entirely in Spanish, or would Spanish be a special subject similar to music, gym, etc? What percentage of class time would you say is expected to be in the Spanish/Chinese language?
- How do Immersion students perform on state reading and math tests?
- Will there be student exchanges through the language immersion program?