Become a Mentor
What is the VANTAGE Mentor Program?
The Mentor Program is an integral component of the VANTAGE experience. All VANTAGE students are assigned a mentor, a trusted and experienced advisor.
Mentors have a desire and commitment to encourage and motivate a high school student in the areas of career and life exploration and development. Mentors also coach students and teams on their VANTAGE project work.
Why Should I Become a Mentor?
There are numerous benefits from participation in the program, including the opportunity to:
- Contribute to the development of future leaders
- Practice leadership and coaching skills
- Gain additional networking contacts
- Gain by giving
What are Mentor's Responsibilities?
Mentor responsibilities are simple, yet have a profound impact. Responsibilities include:
- Coach your student on how to manage and behave in a professional relationship
- Encourage and motivate as a positive role model
- Share your knowledge of the work world
Minimum requirements are:
- At least one monthly meeting with your student
- Timely response to student communications and queries
- Preview any student materials sent ahead of meetings
- Complete three rounds of evaluations on the student’s management of the mentor relationship
Additional interactions enhance the mentor relationship, and benefit both you and the student. Optional activities include:
- Helping students with team projects and coaching on presentations
- Helping teachers with off-site activities or participating in workshops
- Guest speaker for the VANTAGE program
How Do I Become a Mentor?
Fill out the mentor interest form. Please note that we are not always able to assign a student to everyone who fills out the form.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Much Time is Required?
Mentors are asked to commit to one direct interaction with their assigned student each month of the program. The program runs September – May.
In addition, mentors are asked to complete a short evaluation of their assigned student three times/year.
Am I Qualified to Be a Mentor?
If you are employed, or have past experience in a work environment, as well as a sincere interest in coaching and developing a student in a one-to-one professional relationship, we want you as a mentor in the VANTAGE program.
Who are VANTAGE Students?
VANTAGE students are Minnetonka High School Juniors and Seniors who have opted to participate in the VANTAGE Professional Studies Program. VANTAGE students are highly motivated and have an interest in developing the skills needed to excel in professional environments.
VANTAGE Program Strategist
VANTAGE Program Coordinator