Become a Mentor
What is the VANTAGE Mentor Program?
The Mentor Program is an integral component of the VANTAGE experience. All VANTAGE students are assigned a mentor, a trusted and experienced advisor.
Mentors have a desire and commitment to encourage and motivate a high school student in the areas of career and life exploration and development. Mentors also coach students and teams on their VANTAGE project work.
Why Should I Become a Mentor?
There are numerous benefits from participation in the program, including the opportunity to:
- Contribute to the development of future leaders
- Practice leadership and coaching skills
- Gain additional networking contacts
- Gain by giving
What are Mentor's Responsibilities?
Mentor responsibilities are simple, yet have a profound impact. Responsibilities include:
- Coach your student on how to manage and behave in a professional relationship
- Encourage and motivate as a positive role model
- Share your knowledge of the work world
Minimum requirements are:
- At least one monthly meeting with your student
- Timely response to student communications and queries
- Preview any student materials sent ahead of meetings
- Complete three rounds of evaluations on the student’s management of the mentor relationship
Additional interactions enhance the mentor relationship, and benefit both you and the student. Optional activities include:
- Helping students with team projects and coaching on presentations
- Helping teachers with off-site activities or participating in workshops
- Guest speaker for the VANTAGE program
How Do I Become a Mentor?
As of October 3, 2019, we have been fortunate to be able to match each of our students with a mentor. Please continue to submit your interest as we would be happy to put you at the top of our list for the 2020-21 school year.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Much Time is Required?
Mentors are asked to commit to one direct interaction with their assigned student each month of the program. The program runs September – May.
In addition, mentors are asked to complete a short evaluation of their assigned student three times/year.
Am I Qualified to Be a Mentor?
If you are employed, or have past experience in a work environment, as well as a sincere interest in coaching and developing a student in a one-to-one professional relationship, we want you as a mentor in the VANTAGE program.
VANTAGE Program Strategist
VANTAGE Program Coordinator