Global Food Sustainability: Economics and the Environment
You will have the opportunity to engage in a real-world experience in the global food industry where you can learn and grow in areas that may offer future employment opportunities such as corporate sustainability, food security, safety and engineering. While in the corporate setting, you will spend both semesters working on a variety of industry-driven projects, solving research problems and learning about the challenges of project-based work. You will also learn about the economics and policy implications of food sustainability and production, with an emphasis on the global nature of food and its impact on communities and the environment.
This year-long, two-credit course earns credits in:
• Global Studies and Economics (one social studies credit)
• AP Environmental Science (one science credit)
More than 50 guest instructors provide their expertise on topics aligned with the VANTAGE curriculum. Teachers use a content-first approach to learning, enabling you to master academic core content first, and then see how this learning is implemented by food scientists, agricultural industry and food/nutrition companies.
MENTORSHIP AND NETWORKING
All VANTAGE students have a 1:1 mentor, but the networking extends beyond one professional. Mentors often open doors and guest instructors freely share their contact information.
- Research ways to reduce water use in organic produce handling and shipping.
- Work as a sustainable farm intern, learning about growing market-ready sustainable food products.
- Design product packaging to reduce materials use.
- Track food borne illness as it relates to food handler practice.
- Develop food recipes that reduce use of palm oil.
- Develop community education classes on topics such as home food preservation methods.
- Design cutting boards (or other commonly used household items) to reduce bacterial contamination.
- Test bacterial contamination of different types of cutting boards, including post-cleaning.
VANTAGE Program Strategist
VANTAGE Program Coordinator
4350 Baker Road
Minnetonka, MN 55343