Students engage in real-world experiences in the fields related to global sustainability. They learn and grow in areas that offer future employment such as corporate sustainability, food science, food security, food safety, water systems, waste system, energy conservation and others. Coursework integrates physical, biological and information sciences to the study of the environment and global economics.
Students spend both semesters working on a variety of industry-driven projects, solving research problems and learning about the challenges and rewards of project-based work. They also learn about economics and the policy implications of food sustainability, with an emphasis on the global nature of food production and its impact on communities and the environment. This program is offered to juniors and seniors.
Year-long, two-credit course earns:
- Global Studies and Economics (one elective credit in Social Studies)
- AP Environmental Science (one elective credit in Science)
Guest instructors provide expertise on topics aligned to the VANTAGE curriculum. Teachers use a content-first approach to learning, enabling you to master academic core content, and then see how it is implemented by business partners to provide solutions to real-world challenges.
Mentorship and Networking
All VANTAGE students have a 1:1 mentor, but the networking extends beyond one professional. Mentors often open doors and guest instructors freely share their contact information, some provide employment and extended site visits.
- Research ways to reduce water use in organic produce handling and shipping.
- Work as a sustainable farm intern, learning about growing market-ready sustainable food products.
- Design product packaging to reduce materials use.
- Track food borne illness as it relates to food handler practice.
- Develop food recipes that reduce use of palm oil.
- Develop community education classes on topics such as home food preservation methods.
- Design cutting boards (or other commonly used household items) to reduce bacterial contamination.
- Test bacterial contamination of different types of cutting boards, including post-cleaning.
VANTAGE Program Strategist
VANTAGE Program Coordinator