International Baccalaureate (IB)
If you're looking for a rigorous, college-level course of study, community camaraderie and potential college credit, you'll find it all in the full IB Diploma Programme at Minnetonka High School. IB is ideally suited for motivated students who enjoy delving deeper into concepts and considering their global implications. IB students share a well-rounded academic experience that emphasizes critical thinking, intercultural understanding and exposure to diverse viewpoints.
The IB Diploma Programme at Minnetonka can be described as a smaller learning community of academically motivated students (check out their newsletter, at right). It is an all-inclusive, two-year curriculum that provides a deep, thought-provoking course of study in six areas through junior and senior year. You'll enroll in a core group of IB classes with other IB Diploma Candidates; however, you will still interact with other students enrolled in individual IB classes, fine arts, and after-school activities throughout all four years of high school.
The strengths of the program are its academic rigor and comprehensive curriculum enhanced by an inquiry into the theory of knowledge, research, creativity, action, service and a capstone extended essay.
A full description of each IB course is available in the Skipper Log Course Catalog.
Testimonials from Past IB Students
"I'm attending Middlebury College in Vermont. Happy I did the IB program. It has made my transfer to college easier."
William, Class of 2015
Erin, Class of 2015
"At UW-Madison studying Strategic Communication. The IB Program was one of the better decisions I've ever made."
Connor, Class of 2014
"At College of the Holy Cross double majoring in chemistry and Spanish and going pre-med! IB put me far above my peers!"
Michael, Class of 2014
"I'm attending the U of M-Twin Cities, majoring in Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development and Spanish Studies. The IB program augmented my ability to express thought through the written and spoken word in every subject, fostering my ability to communicate effectively and productively both within and outside the classroom."
Meredith, Class of 2014
- NEW EDITION! Student Newsletter by MHS Diploma Candidates
- Presentation: 10 Things to Know About IB
- IB Assessments
- IB Diploma Program How-To
- IB Course Choice Worksheets | Including Bilingual Diploma
- IB Courses and Teachers
- Points Needed to Earn the IB Diploma
- IB Math Pathways
- IB Myths Debunked
- AP and IB College Credit Links
IB course choice worksheets will help you select classes for your junior and senior years.
- Use the IB course choice worksheet to select classes for the IB Diploma.
- Use the IB Bilingual Diploma - Chinese course choice worksheet if you are in Chinese Immersion
- Use the IB Bilingual Diploma - Spanish course choice worksheet if you are in Spanish Immersion
10th grade Higher Algebra is the only math prerequisite to begin the IB Diploma Programme. However, Minnetonka High School offers multiple levels of rigor and IB mathematics pathways depending on a student’s level and interest.
Note about IB Math HL: At the conclusion of year one of this course, many students take the AP exams in Calculus AB and Statistics. At the conclusion of year two of this course, many students take the AP exam in Calculus BC.
Learn more about a college or university's policies on admissions, IB college credit, course placement and/or advanced standing:
- AP and IB College Credit Links lists the top 60 colleges to which MHS students apply with direct links to their AP and IB webpages
- You can also review a list of colleges and universities where Minnetonka IB Diploma Candidates were accepted and where they chose to attend
- Finally, IBO offers student guides for applying to university abroad