Our science program offers you many opportunities to grow in your understanding of how our world works. From fascinating, hands-on laboratory experiments to sophisticated discussions of scientific theory, you will enjoy your coursework.
- Anatomy/Physiology: understanding of physical body structure and functions
- Biology: understanding of biology fundamentals such as humans as organisms and how we relate to the physical and biotic environment, understanding of cells and the molecular level
- Chemistry: problem solving through applying scientific methods and reasoning
- Physics: understanding of basic physics concepts, formulating and applying physical principles
- Integrated Physical Science: understanding units of measurement, introductory chemistry and introductory physics, mastery of the scientific process
All students are required to complete 3.0 credits of science. All students are required to complete one credit of Physical Science. In addition the Minnesota Department of Education requires all students to receive one year of biology starting with the graduating class of 2008.
The vast majority of MHS students take four years of science in the following sequence: Physical Science (9th), Chemistry (10th), Physics (11th or 12th), and Biology (11th or 12th). Modern concepts in Biology rely heavily on concepts in Chemistry; therefore, Chemistry is prerequisite to all courses in biology.
If you are passionate about science, Minnetonka Research will provide you with the opportunity to pursue authentic research driven by your own questions and interests. It will connect you with leaders in academia and industry to inspire and guide you. Minnetonka Research will prepare you for full engagement in college courses and leading-edge careers in fields of inquiry.