The Mathematics Department offers a variety of courses that range from basic math skills to Advanced Placement or college-level mathematics. Due to the structured and sequential nature of mathematics, good attendance and a commitment to daily homework are requirements for all mathematics classes. Failure to complete one of these sequences in high school means that you will have to complete it in college prior to taking calculus.
- Once you successfully complete a full year of a course in levels 1-4, you move on to the next level.
- You can take multiple classes in levels 5-8.
- Courses within each level are ranked in order of increasing difficulty. Students enrolling in Geometry, Quadratic Algebra, or Higher Algebra will be thoughtfully placed under the recommendation and consideration of staff input. Students will be placed and supported by instruction that best meets their learning needs within each set of classes.
- Students who wish to accelerate their math sequence may consider enrolling in Tonka Online to complete three years of math in two years by taking advantage of two summer courses. See pg. 88 for more information about Tonka Online or visit www.TonkaOnline.org. Fees apply for summer courses and if students take more than six classes in a semester.
- Students who wish to enroll in Precalculus or AP Stats but do not meet the prerequisites to move from Higher Algebra to Precalculus or AP Stats may wish to enroll in Tonka Online summer semester prep courses in Functions, Stats & Trig to fulfill the pre-requisite. Fees apply for summer online courses.
|1||Algebra of Lines|
|2||Algebra I or Quadratic Algebra|
|3||Geometry or Geometry Honors|
|4||Higher Algebra or Higher Algebra Honors|
*Students who receive an A- or higher in Higher Algebra or a B- or better in Honors Higher Algebra could proceed to Level 6 class options.
|5||Math Studies or|
Functions, Stats, and Trigonometry
Functions, Stats, and Trigonometry (Pre-calc Prep, Online Summer only)
|6||Precalculus or Precalculus Honors|
|7||IB Math Studies|
AP Calculus BC
|9||IB Further Mathematics HL|