In Minnesota, children are required to be five years old on or before September 1 to enter kindergarten. Minnesota law also provides local school districts some flexibility in determining procedures for early enrollment for children with fall birthdays. In the Minnetonka School District, an early enrollment consideration is available for children with birthdays between September 2 and October 31.
Early enrollment is a big decision for most families. The early enrollment option is intended for children with fall birthdays who have demonstrated a readiness to be successful as grade-accelerated students throughout their entire K-12 schooling experience. Since your child’s school success is extremely important to us, we encourage careful consideration of both the benefits and disadvantages of the early entrance option. We look forward to meeting the educational needs of your child.
Steps for early enrollment
If you are applying for Early Enrollment AND Open Enrollment, you must complete and submit the Open Enrollment Form by January 15.
Screening and assessments
- A preliminary screening will be conducted by a District kindergarten teacher and the Early Enrollment Coordinator. To meet preliminary requirements for early enrollment to kindergarten, a child’s screening results must indicate above average social and emotional maturity, the ability to satisfactorily meet kindergarten expectations, and the ability to progress to first grade in the subsequent year.
- If preliminary eligibility requirements are met, the child will be invited in for a District-approved intelligence assessment administered by a licensed school psychologist. To meet intellectual requirements for early enrollment to kindergarten, a child’s assessment must indicate superior cognitive ability (I.Q. of 130 or above). The psychologist will provide a report and recommendations to the Early Enrollment Coordinator.
- A team of professionals comprised of the Early Enrollment Coordinator, the Coordinator of High Potential Services, the Assistant Superintendent of Instruction, a District kindergarten teacher, a District psychologist, and the principal of the school where the child will attend will make the placement decision for each child.
- The decision of the Committee will be final. The decision will be communicated immediately thereafter to the parents by the Early Enrollment Coordinator, no later than April 30 preceding the anticipated enrollment.
- Copies of the information gathered and the Early Enrollment Committee's decision will be available upon request. Current residents missing the March 15 deadline will be expected to send children at the age appropriate time to kindergarten, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
If you have any questions regarding this procedure and/or early enrollment to kindergarten, please do not hesitate to call your neighborhood school principal or Joan Larson at 952-401-6950.
Student last names A-L:
Student last names M-Z:
Clear Springs Elementary
5701 County Rd 101
Minnetonka, MN 55345
Submit questions and feedback online and receive a response within one business day through Let’s Talk.