Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can enroll in Tonka Online?
- How much does Tonka Online cost?
- Will I receive credit for courses I take online?
- How many courses can I take online through Tonka Online?
- How does online learning work?
- Why would a public school offer online courses?
- Why should I take an online course?
- Will I have an instructor from Minnetonka High School?
- How does grading work in Tonka Online?
- If I sign up for a summer course and do not finish, can I work on the class in the fall until it is completed?
- Why would I choose PE in Tonka Online instead of a less expensive online provider?
- How do I enroll in an online course through Tonka Online?
- Where do I go for my online course if I am taking it during the school year?
- Why is orientation an important part to being a student in Tonka Online?
- Our family travels in the summer, can I still participate in Tonka Online?
- How can I support my child in online learning?
- When will I pay for a Tonka Online course?
- Will there be any additional course offerings?
Tonka Online courses serve any Minnesota high school student or incoming high school student who is interested and self-disciplined for learning online. The courses are available to any student seeking to take a course to get ahead in their studies or to increase flexibility in scheduling. This includes public/charter school students, private school, and homeschool students.
If Tonka Online is selected as a part of students’ regular schedules within the six-period day, there is no charge for a Tonka Online course. However, if you are taking a Tonka Online course as a 7th class, there is a fee. The course fee is $ 325.00 for a one semester course. Tonka Online Lifetime Fitness and Activities course fee is set at $199.00 per semester.
Becoming a successful online learner is an integral skill set that you must master to thrive in the 21st Century. Many students will take online courses in college or post-secondary careers and find themselves with no preparation for success. Online learning through Tonka Online allows you to experience online learning with the guidance of an on-site instructor that is dedicated to ensuring your success in the course.
Grading will closely align with traditional Minnetonka classrooms, and have both formative and summative assessments. Some Tonka Online courses may require you to complete your summative assessments in a classroom environment. Feedback will be continual and timely in an effort to maintain high levels of student success.
Tonka Online’s Summer PE is only 11 weeks compared to the typical 15 week window required by other providers. At $199, the Tonka Online rate for PE is lower than the typical semester rate. The cost is still slightly higher than other online providers, but the quality experience with Minnetonka staff and curriculum makes the Tonka Online course a better experience for students.
If you attend Minnetonka High School, Tonka Online students work in the Media Center during their scheduled online course period. Provided it is not distracting to others, juniors and seniors who are scheduled for a Tonka Online class can utilize any space in the building for their study time.
Students enrolling in Tonka Online from outside the District select a space and time best suited to your learning needs.
Yes, one of the unique qualities about Tonka Online is that provides a vehicle to extend learning through the summer months, but it also provides a mobile learning environment. All that is needed is a dependable internet connection. Students who are planning to travel and will not be able to access the internet consistently during that time, must make a plan with the instructor in advance of their departure. In order to stay current in coursework, you should not be away from an internet connection for more than a week at a time. You may work ahead to avoid missing important due dates, or discuss an adjusted time frame with the course instructor.
The curriculum for Tonka Online is developed entirely by Minnetonka Public School teachers. We have increased the availability of courses in many departments and the list of available courses continues to grow. For more information about courses available, visit the “Courses” tab on the Tonka Online website.