2017 Minnetonka Homecoming (September 11-15)
Dress-up Days (get ideas of what to wear in the SG display cabinet)
- Monday 9/11 - PJ Day (wear your pajamas to school)
- Tuesday 9/12 - Wacky Tacky Day
- Wednesday 9/13 - Nature vs Netflix Day
- Thursday 9/14 - Jersey Day
- Friday 9/15 - Spirit Day (Blue & White, Homecoming T-shirts)
THURSDAY, September 7
Seniors will nominate royalty through a Google link this year. Seniors will be able to go online and nominate three king and three queen candidates during their 2nd hour class on Tuesday, September 12.
Male Rettes: Permission forms can be picked up at the meeting with Mr. Erickson on Friday, September 8 at 7:30 a.m. in the East Gym. Permission forms will also be available online or in the activities office. Forms need to be turned in to the activities office by 3 p.m. on Tuesday, September 12.
Monday-Friday, September 11-15
Homecoming shirts, Watch Them Fall, will be on sale in the student union. There is one displayed in the SG display window now. The price is $10. There will also be shirts sent to each middle school and elementary school for purchase by the students.
Homecoming Dance tickets are on sale for $10 in the student union. Dance tickets will be on sale all week long. If any student needs financial help with purchasing either a shirt or a dance ticket, they can visit Mary Beth Wiig in the Guidance office.
Wednesday, September 13, 9 a.m.-2:40 p.m.
Field trip for the Homecoming Court to Feed my Starving Children. The Royalty Tea is from 3-4 p.m. in the forum and parents, family members, and all staff are welcome!
Friday, September 15
King and Queen are voted for by 9-12 graders during their 2nd hour class on a Scantron (vote only once and for only one candidate). The results will be announced at the coronation during pep fest.
Friday, September 15
- Pep fest and Crowning (follow pep-fest schedule on poster): Starts at 1:55 p.m. on the Football Field. At the pep fest, the king and the queen are crowned and the football team is sent off in preparation for their game.
- Parade: 4 p.m. on Water St. in downtown Excelsior. The parade route will commence at Lake & Water at 4 p.m. and end at Excelsior Elementary. The parade will last about 45 minutes. Meet and line up in the Excelsior commons at 3:15 p.m.
- Football Game: 7 p.m. at MHS. MTKA Skippers vs. Maple Grove Crimson. Tickets are available at Cub Foods off County Road 101 and Highway 7.
- Have fun, but stay safe! View the flyer on Homecoming safety.
Saturday, September 16
- Powder Puff Game: 9 a.m. on the MHS football field. Senior Women vs. Junior Women in a game of flag football. Be there for warm-ups by 8:45! Women who purchased a shirt will receive them the week of Sept. 11. You must have a mouth guard, student ID, and an online permission slip form submitted to play. Links to buy your shirt and submit the permission form are on Student Government's Schoology page.
- The Homecoming Dance is from 9 to 11:30 p.m. in the West Gym at MHS. Here are some things to remember about the dance:
- Photographs: There will be no professional photographer, only a free photo booth.
- Conduct: To be admitted to the dance, students are required to abide by the law and not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Minnetonka Police are present at each dance to ensure student safety.
- Other Information: The Homecoming Dance starts at 9 p.m. and ends at 11:30 p.m. Please have your rides scheduled to be picked up no later than 11:30. Tickets are sold in the Student Union for $10 single, $20 per couple. These tickets must be purchased in advance and are non-refundable.
- You may go "stag" (meaning alone, or with a group) or as a couple. Homecoming is a semi-formal dance, so please dress accordingly (suits and ties and dresses). Students must wear shoes at the dance so bring comfortable shoes. (sandals, flip-flops, etc.).
- Most groups or couples go to dinner before they go to the dance (some groups actually have a good meal at home). Many students come with a group of friends as well! If you are going to a restaurant, be sure to make your reservations early. Pictures should be taken before the group goes to dinner.
- At the dance make sure you have your tickets with you. There is a coat check available. It is best to leave anything of value at home or secured within your vehicle.
- If you plan to bring a guest from a school other than MHS, please fill out Dance Guest Permission Slip.
If you have any questions, please contact Theresa.Ellis@minnetonkaschools.org.
Homecoming Parade Information
If you are interested in having a float in the homecoming parade on Friday, Sept. 15, below is the process you need to follow to register:
- Advisor complete the Parade Unit Permission Form.
- Advisor receives confirmation email..
- Advisor collects individual student permission forms (emailed to advisor with confirmation email, and also posted online). Each student must complete the Homecoming Parade Permission Form.
- Advisor presents confirmation email and student permission forms at the start of parade to Bill Wenmark (parade starter).
Here are some other things to keep in mind:
- The students in your activity make a float and have a car that can drive it in the parade. All drivers must be at least 25 years of age.
- Your float will be lined up along Lake Street (the road along the commons) and will proceed down Water Street. Be there no later than 3:30 p.m., for staging. The parade will end at Excelsior Elementary. Please make sure all students arrange for a ride from the church and clean up the area.
- No candy will be given out under police order. Any candy on route will be confiscated. Spectator safety is of great importance and due to the enthusiasm of last year's parade, the police want to remind everyone to make sure that they stay on the sidewalks and away from the floats.
- Help make this a great event and keep the tradition alive!