Minnewashta volunteers make a difference!
Find flexible volunteer opportunities – evening, weekend and day shifts – that fit your schedule and build community within our school. Check out our PTO Committee list for available opportunities.
We love to hear from you. Contact VCMinnewashta@gmail.com to find your dream volunteer role.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Back-to-School 5K and Social
- Birthday Books
- Book Fair
- Box Tops for Education
- Building Sign
- Bus Help
- Dream Makers
- Fall Fundraiser
- Family Service Night
- Friday Folders
- Friends of the Library
- Friends of the Playground
- Imagination Fair
- Kids Vote
- Los Libros Compartidos
- Lunch Help
- Make & Take Teacher Help
- Monster Mash & I-Scream Social
- Movie Night
- PTO Website
- School Directory
- School Supply Kits
- Secret Shop
- Spring Carnival
- Staff Appreciation
- STEM Career Fair
- Student Picture Day
- Tonka CARES
- Tonka Green
- Tonka Pride
- Vision/Hearing Screening
We are thrilled to have the help, support and presence of our volunteer parents. In order to provide a safe environment, where children are our first priority, we need to adhere to following procedures:
- Check-in procedure: It is essential that all volunteers in the building sign in and use visitor badges provided by the school.
- Confidentiality: Educators recognize the importance of confidentiality. Everyone is more secure in an environment where the privacy of the child and the child's family is respected. We expect the same commitment to confidentiality from our volunteers as we do from ourselves.
VOLUNTEERING IN THE CLASSROOM
Parents are encouraged to volunteer in their children’s classroom. Teachers will typically have classroom volunteer opportunities available at Curriculum Night and will communicate other volunteer needs throughout the year.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – PTO
We have a strong tradition of volunteering at Minnewashta Elementary. Parents, guardians, and family members are involved in so many aspects of our children’s education. We hope every parent can find at least one way to help each year. All PTO Volunteer opportunities (with descriptions) are posted on our website at the beginning of each school year. You can access and sign up for these opportunities year round. Computers are set up in the school lobby during Curriculum Nights for you to use to sign up, as well. Throughout the year, various committees may also distribute volunteer request forms.
Background Check Process for Volunteers
To ensure the safety of our students, we require criminal background checks on the following:
- Any volunteer who accompanies students off campus (i.e., chaperones for field trips).
- Any volunteer who is responsible for working with students on campus, but not under the supervision of a licensed teacher.
Volunteer background checks do not need to be done every year. Once you have been approved through our volunteer background check process, you will be cleared to volunteer into the future without going through the process again.
To inquire whether you already have a cleared volunteer background check on file, please contact either the main office or Human Resources at 952-401-5014.
The online criminal background check form requires you to provide authorization for a variety of criminal background checks:
- National Sex Offense History: Provides a sexual offender registry check of all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.
- Criminal SuperSearch: A criminal search for 47 states plus the District of Columbia.
- Social Security Number Trace: Provides the name, aliases, 10 year address history, and all social security numbers associated with the individual. Verifies that the social security number is valid, gives year of issuance and state issued.
The background checks will be done at the District’s expense and information will be kept confidential. Human Resources staff members will review the results of each background check. If there are any concerns regarding the results of a background check, Human Resources will contact that individual directly within 24-48 hours after receiving the results. If you are not contacted within 48 hours after filling out the background check form you are clear to volunteer. The online form includes an option for volunteers to request a copy of their own report.
Thank you for your cooperation as we continue to maintain a safe and secure educational environment for our students.
Click here to complete the volunteer background check
Note: If you are a current employee of Minnetonka Schools, you are already cleared to work in the District, so do not need to complete the volunteer background check.