Has your child been screened for kindergarten? Early Childhood Screening is a free developmental check-up required by the State of Minnesota for all preschool-aged children (ages three to five) before attending public school.
How to scheduLe a screening appointment:
Schedule a screening appointment by downloading the screening forms. Return completed forms to Early Childhood Screening: 4584 Vine Hill Road, Excelsior 55331 or email them to Denise.email@example.com
Once we have received your forms, you will receive a confirmation of your appointment by mail.
What to bring to your child's screening appointment:
Prior to your child’s appointment, please gather the following two documents:
- A copy of your child's birth certificate. Your screening cannot be completed without it. If your child was born in Minnesota, obtain an official birth certificate by visiting the Ridgedale Service Center at 12601 Ridgedale Drive. You can also go online to www.hennepin.us or call 612-348-8240 for more information. If your child was not born in Minnesota, visit www.vitalchek.com to obtain a birth certificate.
- Your child’s updated immunization record. If you do not have your child’s immunization record, please contact your clinic and ask them to send us a copy before the appointment. Your screening cannot be completed without this record.
- Last approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Are best completed between the ages of three-and-a-half and four.
- Check your child's height, weight, hearing, vision and immunization record, coordination, large and small motor skills, speech, learning development and social and emotional skills.
- Involve playful activities that make it an enjoyable experience for your child, while providing valuable information for the screener.
- Are not tests–screening simply helps identify any needs that may require attention before your child enters school.
- Produce immediate results–our staff will discuss the results with you right after the appointment and answer any of your questions.