Bilingual Seals and Proficiency Certificate
The Minnesota World Language Proficiency Certificate and Bilingual and Multilingual Seals were created as an official recognition by the state of Minnesota for proficiency in a language in addition to English. The certificate can be awarded as soon as a student demonstrates Intermediate-Low proficiency; however, the seals are only awarded upon high school graduation. Seals are added to the transcript of each high school graduate who meets the requirements and may also be added to diplomas.
Minnetonka Public Schools carefully tracks student proficiency test results to ensure students receive the appropriate designation.
The level of each seal is defined according to the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Proficiency Guidelines. The Bilingual/Multilingual Seal levels and their qualifying scores are as follows:
AP Language Exams
MN World Language
|Intermediate Low |
(STAMP score 4)
(AP score 3)
(IB score 3 on SL exam)
|Minnesota Bilingual Gold Seal||Intermediate High |
(STAMP score 6)
(AP score 4)
|Minnesota Bilingual Platinum Seal||Advanced Low|
(STAMP score 7)
(AP score 5)
(IB score 4 or above on HL exam)
(IB score of 6 or 7 on SL exam)
Students must also:
- Satisfactorily complete all required English language arts credits; and
- Demonstrate mastery of Minnesota’s English language proficiency standards.
Upon enrollment and student request, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU)* awards three semesters of college credit for a gold bilingual or multilingual seal and four semesters of college credit for a platinum bilingual or multilingual seal.
Follow this link to see a list of MnSCU colleges and universities
*University of Minnesota Disclaimer: The University of Minnesota is not a MnSCU school. The College of Liberal Arts at the University of Minnesota has its own system for awarding credit for students with advanced language skills.
QUESTIONS REGARDING COLLEGE CREDITS
The state level recognition of world language proficiency with college credit is new and not everyone will be familiar with it yet. If you run into difficulties receiving credits, please contact:
World Language Proficiency Certificate
- Awarded to students who have demonstrated Intermediate-Low proficiency in a language other than English based on ACTFL proficiency guidelines.
- The Bilingual Seal is awarded for proficiency in another language in addition to English.
- The Multilingual Seal is awarded for proficiency in two or more languages in addition to English.
- Spanish and Chinese Immersion students who choose to take a third language may also take an assessment in that language to qualify for the State of Minnesota’s Multilingual Seal.