You will have the opportunity to engage in a real-world experience in a healthcare environment where you can learn and get direct exposure to future employment opportunities in this growing industry. While in the healthcare setting, you will regularly spend time on site visits and rotational clinical experiences with leaders in the health and wellness industries such as Fairview, Children’s Hospital, CrossFit and Presbyterian Homes. Designed together with professionals from the health industry, you will have a firm understanding of the various aspects of healthcare, including a generalist view of the many professions available to you as a prospective healthcare professional.
Course CreditThis year-long, three-credit course earns credits in:
- AP Psychology (one credit, senior level social studies)
- Exercise Science Fitness A (.5 credit in physical education)
- Mental Health and Wellness (.5 credit in physical education)
- IB Sports Exercise and Health Science (one elective credit in science)
More than 50 guest instructors provide their expertise on topics aligned with the VANTAGE curriculum. Teachers use a content-first approach to learning, enabling you to master academic core content first, and then see how this learning is implemented by healthcare professionals in a real world environments of medicine, sports exercise and wellness.
Mentorship and Networking
All VANTAGE students have a 1:1 mentor, but the networking extends beyond one professional. Mentors often open doors and guest instructors freely share their contact information, some provide employment opportunities and extended site visits.
Sample Clinical Rotations
- Fairview Institute for Athletic Medicine: Bi-weekly observational rotation through physical, occupational and speech therapy departments.
- Children’s Hospitals and Clinics: On-site visit to Emergency Room, Intensive Care Unit and Discharge simulation stations.
- CrossFit, Discover Strength: Shadowing sport exercise trainers as they conduct training sessions and wellness services for clients.
- Medtronic: Deep brain modulation, spinal cord stimulation, and cath lab simulation / training exercises.